ADVERTORIAL – How many times have you woken up feeling more tired than when you went to bed? This is more common then you may realise, and may be due to a problem that you can’t even see.
Human beings naturally shed dead flakes of skin, which are left in our beds and homes. Dust mites use our debris as a food source. These microscopic creatures produce allergens in their droppings, some of which destroys the lining of our lungs. The reaction to these allergens can be severe even triggering asthma attacks or leading to learning problems such as Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
This obviously also affects your sleep, leaving you very unproductive. Children suffering from these disorders are often treated differently to their peers — as they may be seen as trouble makers, lazy, or as less than average students. This ultimately leads to feelings of isolation and loneliness — leaving many parents unaware of the real underlying problem.
What to look out for?
Dust mite allergy sufferers often experience poor concentration, inability to keep up with class work or business. As well as constant feelings of sleepiness, anxiety, irritability, or a decrease in productivity levels. This is also accompanied by fatigue, change in moods, such as unexplained anger or depression.
Needless to say, this can affect your interpersonal relationships with colleagues, friends and loved ones, including your relationship with your children, leading to unnecessary conflict.
According to experts in the fields of childhood behaviour and development — “by removing the dust mite allergen and thereby reducing the allergic reactivity in sensitive children, you may directly enhance their personal development by improve learning, memory capacity, concentration and academic achievements.”
What to Do?
It is quite simple, especially with the help of SoPure Laboratories’ revolutionary Mitefree™ range. Mitefree™ is a product designed to combat dust mite allergens and therefore assist you in dramatically reducing the harmful effects of dust mites on you and your loved ones. The Mitefree™ system is aimed at allergen neutralization rather than dust mite destruction making it safe and effective in your home and office environments. Mitefree™ is available as a spray, making it extremely easy to use. As a laundry additive, Mitefree™ will replace your old fabric softener and as an added benefit, not only will you be neutralizing harmful allergens, viruses and bacteria, while you wash your clothes and linen, but your laundry will also smell fresh and clean.
The products range in price from ZAR30 for the MiteFree™ Travel Spray, ZAR80 for the MiteFree™ Dust Mite Laundry Additive, to ZAR90 for the MiteFree™ Dust Mite Spray.
The product range is available at DIS-CHEM, Baby City, Toys R Us stores as well as other leading pharmacies, health and pet stores countrywide.
Dust mite facts
- A gram (about a half teaspoon) of dust contains as many as 1 000 dust mites and 250 000 allergenic dust mite droppings.
- Dust mite populations increase quickly. Each egg-laying female can increase the population by 30 new mites per week.
- Depending on its age, your mattress may house between one million and ten million dust mites.
- During its 80-day lifespan, the average dust mite produces about 1 000 allergen waste particles.
- The weight of the average mattress doubles after ten years due to dust mite infestation, and the weight of the average pillow increases 10% after one year due to the same reason.
- Dust mite populations peak during the hot, humid months.
- Dust mites grow best at 75-80% relative humidity, and they cannot survive when the humidity is below 50%.
- A Johns Hopkins University study showed that “mite population and allergen levels decreased by 90% or more within a month of placing mattress and pillow covers and treating bedding.”
These unwelcome guests may have overstayed their welcome, but thanks to the Mitefree™ range, this no longer has to be the case. For more information, please visit: www.mitefree.co.za