Common Ailments - What do you use?

From teething to vaccines. Any topics related to health and well-being.

Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby TomThumb » 28 Aug 2010 08:37

Hi

Thomas has been knocked for a six with this bout of flu ... I'm not a big fan of antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, so I'm holding on to see if we can nip the flu in the butt ...

This is what I'm using at the moment:

Iliadin drops for 5 days (We're on Day 3)

Prospan Cough Syrup. Asthavent Syrup 0.5ml if he is wheezy and we arent home (Atrovent nebuliser if we are home). Have to say though, havent needed to treat a wheeze since we started the Prospan ...

Panado Syrup/Empaped Suppositories ... if the fever persists after an hour, Ponstan
Susp/Suppositories

Allergex Elixir for the congestion.

Sterimar every hour or 2 as he'll tolerate it

Vicks vaporub on his nightclothes only.

Karvol on his duvet/outer grower.

Creche Guard weekdays, Vidaylin weekends.

Thomas is 6.5 months old. He appears to be improving, but he's struggling to eat with the nasal congestion. I've had to aspirate out this morning with the bulb aspirator to give him some relief.

Other things we use often:

Lacson or glycerine suppositories for constipation.

Reuteri drops or Probi Paed for diarrhoea.

Woodwards gripe for gas and reflux.

Telament colic drops for gas.

What works for you?
ImageImage
User avatar
TomThumb
Newborn
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 22:27
Location: Uitenhage, Eastern Cape

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby Kath_B » 28 Aug 2010 09:13

I use the Panado infant syrup for pain and fever. Ashton and Parsons powders for teething. Sudocrem for exzema. Sterimar or Iliadin for congestion. My LO is also on Creche Gaurd 5 days a week. Luckily for us my LG has not suffered with many colds or flu since she was born and has not had to have an antibiotic since she was born and was in the NICU. She is 11 months old now, so we have been very fortunate health-wise. Hope your LO gets better soon!
Image
Image
Kath_B
Newborn
 
Posts: 352
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 19:27
Location: Durban, KZN

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby SuzC » 28 Aug 2010 09:57

Caity has only had flu once.

But we use Panado syrup for pain and Prodol for teething. Bennetts saline drops for a stuffy nose.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
SuzC
Crawler
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 10:17
Location: KZN

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby kristine » 28 Aug 2010 16:23

I use Panado, Lotem for pain and fever. Iliadin for blocked nose (must just remember to take off lid - LOL)
Image
kristine
Crawler
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 10:52
Location: Pretoria

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby TomThumb » 28 Aug 2010 19:10

SuzC wrote:Caity has only had flu once.

But we use Panado syrup for pain and Prodol for teething. Bennetts saline drops for a stuffy nose.


I hear Prodol is also quite good. I use Vidol mixed with a small bit of glycerin to make it a thick paste. He loves Biltong and the Purity teething biscuits as well.

I like the bulb aspirator that came with the Bennets Saline. I find the Sterimar easier to administer though. Little hobbit is getting wise to my ways ;-)
ImageImage
User avatar
TomThumb
Newborn
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 22:27
Location: Uitenhage, Eastern Cape

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby TomThumb » 28 Aug 2010 19:47

Kath_B wrote:I use the Panado infant syrup for pain and fever. Ashton and Parsons powders for teething. Sudocrem for exzema. Sterimar or Iliadin for congestion. My LO is also on Creche Gaurd 5 days a week. Luckily for us my LG has not suffered with many colds or flu since she was born and has not had to have an antibiotic since she was born and was in the NICU. She is 11 months old now, so we have been very fortunate health-wise. Hope your LO gets better soon!


Thanks Kath. Thomas was also in NICU - prem baby. Unfortunately, I work in a health care setting, and I try my damndest to sterilise before coming near him, but when I get a sniffle, he unfortunately gets it tenfold! :-( Winter's not kind to the littlies ...

No antibiotics yet, but if he's still running a fever on Monday, think we wont be able to avoid it any longer ....

I like Asthon's and Parsons cos it calms him a bit and helps with the tummy cramps. I use Vidol for the pain though.

Sudocream is a brilliant all-rounder. Helps tremendously to soothe the bums when they have a runny tummy as well.
ImageImage
User avatar
TomThumb
Newborn
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 22:27
Location: Uitenhage, Eastern Cape

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby SuzC » 29 Aug 2010 06:53

TomThumb wrote:
SuzC wrote:Caity has only had flu once.

But we use Panado syrup for pain and Prodol for teething. Bennetts saline drops for a stuffy nose.


I hear Prodol is also quite good. I use Vidol mixed with a small bit of glycerin to make it a thick paste. He loves Biltong and the Purity teething biscuits as well.

I like the bulb aspirator that came with the Bennets Saline. I find the Sterimar easier to administer though. Little hobbit is getting wise to my ways ;-)


Prodol is execellent - I wont use anything else.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
SuzC
Crawler
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 10:17
Location: KZN

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby BizzyBee » 29 Aug 2010 12:08

Belladonna homeopathic preparation for fever,
Infludo and/or Echinaforce to strengthen immune system in flu situation
Ferum phos tissue salts (no. 8) for a cold and snotty nose.
Chamiflor nasal spray (saline & chamomile) or in acute cases, Iliadin.
Rescue night when he's panicking (alcohol free with SA flower essence preparation for the whole family).
Odon for teething associated concerns
Nux vomica for vomiting.
BizzyBee
Newborn
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 15:04

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby Nixie » 29 Aug 2010 13:47

we also use prodol... i still have some in the medicin cab.
User avatar
Nixie
Crawler
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 12:25

Re: Common Ailments - What do you use?

Postby mamma » 30 Aug 2010 07:19

Also use Demezin for cold/flue..
mamma
Crawler
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 12:40
Location: Cape Town - Northern Suburbs

Next

Return to Health & Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests