2 cups water
1 whole loaf brown or white bread
5 potatoes, diced
200g canned chick peas
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1 large butternut, diced
2 onions, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
4 red or green chillies
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 curry leaves
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp salt
1) Heat the oil in a suitable pot.
2) Add the garlic, chillies, oil and onions and fry for 3 minutes.
3) Add the tomatoes and fry for another 3 minutes.
4) Add the potatoes, butternut, and sweet potatoes.
5) Add water and curry leaves and make sure the vegetables and potatoes are submerged under water.
6) Add the curry powder and salt to taste.
7) Once water boils, reduce heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8) After 90 minutes the consistency should be soup-like, if the curry is still watery, mash some of the potatoes and stir.
9) Cut the whole bread in 4 even pieces. From each piece, cut out the middle leaving a bottom. Fill the gap in with curry, put the middle back on top and serve.