4 cups marinara sauce
1 ½ cups grated cheese
1 ½ cups chopped broccoli crowns
1 ½ cups sliced precooked sausage
Homemade pizza dough
1) Make a batch of homemade pizza dough and prepare a large baking pin.
2) Divide the dough in half and with floured hands press each half into a large oval shape. Now switch to a rolling pin and roll out the dough until it measures about 15-22 centimetres.
3) Spoon your marinara sauce across the bottom half of each oval, leaving an uncovered 1cm border.
4) Sprinkle on the cheese, followed by the broccoli pieces and sausage, dividing the toppings equally between the 2 calzones.
TIP: Cut the broccoli into small pieces. The steam in the baking calzone will cook it to the correct tenderness.
4) Lightly moisten the 1cm edges with water using your fingertip. Continue to fold the top over the side piled with toppings. Match up the edges.
5) Transfer the calzones onto the baking sheet –make sure they are well spaced. Use a fork to poke 4 small steam vents in the top of each calzone.
6) Allow the calzones to rest for 10 minutes while you heat the oven to 200°C.
7) Bake on the centre oven rack for about 30 minutes, until dark and crusty on both sides.
8) Slide the calzones onto a wire rack and let them cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Be careful the steam inside can be very hot.