1.5kg boneless chuck roast, trimmed
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2cm pieces
400g beef broth
2 cups onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry red wine
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
fresh thyme leaves (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 180°C.
2) Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3) Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper and add to pan; cook for five minutes while turning to brown on all sides.
4) Remove roast from pan.
5) Add onion to pan and sautée for eight minutes or until tender.
6) Return browned roast to pan.
7) Add the thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, red wine and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer.
8) Cover pan and bake at 180° for an hour and a half or until the roast is almost tender.
9) Add carrots and potatoes to pan, then cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
10) Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard.
11) Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid; garnish with thyme leaves if desired.