8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, lightly grilled or toasted
2 cups arugula, or spinach, stemmed and chopped
1 medium brinjal, sliced into 1cm rounds
2 large or 3 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed
1 large tomato, sliced
1 small clove garlic, chopped
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tsp lemon juice
olive oil cooking spray
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat grill to medium-high.
2) Mash garlic into a paste on a cutting board with the back of a spoon.
3) Combine with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
4) Coat both sides of brinjal rounds and mushroom caps with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
5) Grill the vegetables, turning once, until tender and browned on both sides (slightly longer for mushrooms). When cool enough to handle, slice the mushrooms.
5) Spread one and a half teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread.
6) Layer the mushroom, brinjal, arugula (or spinach) and tomato slices on to four slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.