260 grams of all purpose flour
140 grams of unsalted butter at room temperature
100 grams of granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (120 ml) jam
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.
2) Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until blended.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mix and beat until blended together. Be careful not to over mix the dough.
4) Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead the dough to bring it together and then divide the dough in half.
5) Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least for an hour).
6) Preheat oven to 400 degrees C and place rack in the middle of the oven.
7) Remove one portion if the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough until 5cm thick. Using a lightly floured 6cm round cookie cutter, cut out the rounds and gently press them into the muffin tins. Fill each pastry with your favourite jam (about two thirds full).
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 14 minutes or until golden brown.
9) Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
10) Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream or sprinkle with chopped nuts. This makes 34 miniature tarts.