1 large brinjal
3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm slices (peeled 600g)
10ml olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (100g)
1 handful frozen peas
400g lean mince (beef)
1ml ground cloves
1ml ground cinnamon
10ml beef stock powder
125ml boiled water
30ml tomato puree
2 carrots, chopped and cut into slices (200g)
175ml plain yoghurt
1 large egg
5ml dried Italian herbs
1. Cut the brinjal with its skin into 2cm cubes and soak in salt water for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with clean water. Drain again.
2. Boil the potato slices in water for 10 to 15 minutes until cooked. Drain.
3. Heat the oil. Add the onion and mince and fry until brown, add cloves, cinnamon, stock powder, boiling water, tomato puree, carrots, peas and brinjal. Heat to boiling point and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until veggies are cooked.
4. Dish meat mixture into a greased oven dish of 22 x 22 x 8cm and spread mixture evenly. Top mixture with potato slices.
5. Beat the yoghurt, egg and herbs till thoroughly mixed. Top potato slices to round off the dish.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius in a preheated oven until the top layer is set and golden brown.
Serves 4 people.