25g sundried tomatoes
300ml cake flour (145g)
100ml wholewheat flour (50g)
100ml oat bran (70g)
10ml baking powder
1ml freshly ground black pepper
5ml dry Italian herbs
5ml chopped garlic
25ml chopped fresh parsley
75g crumbed feta with 33% less fat
2 medium eggs
25ml olive oil
100ml plain yoghurt
100ml low fat milk
2.5ml sodium bicarbonate
12 chopped black olives (50g)
60ml grated parmesan cheese (25g)
1. Cut the sundried tomatoes in small pieces, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and sprinkle with sugar.
2. Mix the flour, bran, baking powder, black pepper, dried herbs, garlic, parsley and feta.
3. Beat the eggs, olive oil, yoghurt, and milk together. Add the sodium bicarbonate and olives. Stir.
4. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir lightly till mixed. Don’t overstir. Spoon the mixture into a greased 12-muffin tray. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the dough.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 180⁰C in a preheated oven till golden brown.
– Recipe by Hilda Lategan, South African Cook Book for Diabetes and Insulin resistance 2.