1.5kg large potatoes, peeled, quartered
250g carrots, peeled, coarsely shredded
6 slices smoked bacon
1 large sweet onion, diced
½ cup buttermilk
2 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 tbsp canola oil
2½ tsp kosher salt
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1) Cover the potatoes and carrots below a few centimetres of cold water in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
2) Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about twenty minutes.
3) Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
4) Drain bacon on paper towels and discard all but two tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet.
5) Add oil and onion to drippings and sauté for ten minutes or until softened and lightly browned.
6) Stir in thyme and cook for two minutes longer.
7) When potatoes are fork-tender, drain in a colander and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
8) Add buttermilk, butter, and salt; mash with a potato masher until potato is smooth, with small flecks of carrot visible.
9) Stir in onions and crumble bacon over the top.