3 tart apples – peeled, cored, and chopped
3 pears – peeled, cored, and chopped
5 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp low-fat margarine
1 ½ tsp fresh ginger, purÃ©ed
½ tsp rubbed sage
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1) Place a large saucepan over medium heat and melt the margarine.
2) Add the apples and pears in the melted margarine and cook while stirring for about 5 minutes.
3) Add the vegetable broth, sage, pepper, and bay leaf to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
4) Cover the saucepan and allow the mixture to simmer until hot and the apples and pears are tender, about 20 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
6) Pour about a third of the soup into a blender – pitcher should be no more than half full.
7) Hold the lid of the blender in place with a towel and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to purÃ©e.
8) PurÃ©e in batches until smooth; pour into a clean pot.
9) Return the purÃ©ed soup to the saucepan and warm over medium heat until completely reheated.
10) Garnish with parsley.