2kg lean beef short ribs cut into 2cm pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, thickly sliced crosswise into rings
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup purchased barbecue sauce
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon salt, plus salt to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 165 °C.
2) Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper.
3) Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
4) Add the ribs and brown evenly on all sides (about 5 minutes).
5) Transfer the ribs to paper towels to drain briefly.
6) Add onions to the same pot and sautÃ© over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
7) Add the carrots and sautÃ© until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes longer.
8) Add the garlic and sautÃ© for 1 minute.
9) Stir in the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and beef broth.
10) Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute to blend the flavors. Add the ribs to the sauce.
11) Bake until the meat is very tender, turning ribs occasionally, about 2 ½ hours.
12) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on warm plates and serve immediately.