500g fresh bean sprouts, washed and drained (not canned)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 scallions, finely minced
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 2cm cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tbsp sesame oil
â…“ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp spicy sesame oil
1) Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet; don’t burn them!
2) Place bean sprouts in a heat-proof bowl and set aside.
3) In a medium skillet, stir-fry garlic, scallions and ginger in oil for 2-3 minutes or until limp.
4) Add remaining ingredients, increase the heat a bit and boil uncovered for a minute or so to reduce the liquid.
5) Pour over bean sprouts; toss well.
6) Serve chilled or at room temperature; toss again before serving.