500g extra-lean minced beef
400g canned and diced tomatoes with juice
225g mozzarella cheese, divided
225g rigatoni pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained, and rinsed
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, mashed and finely chopped
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp dry red wine (or substitute with more water)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
½ tsp dried oregano
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2) Lightly grease a 2-3l baking dish.
3) In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
4) Add minced beef, onion and carrot.
5) Cook, breaking the beef up and stirring, until meat is browned.
6) Add the bell pepper, zucchini, garlic, oregano and cajun sasoning.
7) Continue cooking while stirring, for about 2 minutes.
8) Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and wine (or more water).
9) Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes (until vegetables are tender).
10) Combine the sauce mixture with the cooked and drained rigatoni.
11) Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish.
12) Sprinkle evenly with half of the cheese.
13) Top with remaining pasta mixture and remaining cheese.
14) Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.