900g lean stewing beef, cut in 1cm chunks
800g canned diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
1 cup potatoes, diced
½ cup carrots, diced
½ cup turnip, diced
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup dry red wine
2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
â…“ cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried leaf thyme
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsps flour mixed with ¼ cup cold water until smooth
1) Combine the third of a cup flour, salt, and quarter teaspoon of pepper.
2) Toss the beef pieces in the flour mix until well coated.
3) In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
4) Add the beef and cook, stirring, until browned.
5) Add the celery and onion and continue cooking until the onion is softened.
6) Add the tomatoes, wine, garlic and beef broth.
7) Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover.
8) Simmer for one and a half hours.
9) Add the half teaspoon of thyme, potatoes, carrots, pepper, and turnip.
10) Cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
11) Add the flour and water mixture and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened.