10 flour tortillas
350g lean minced beef
½ cup Cheddar or Gouda cheese, grated
1 cup salsa sauce, plus more for dipping
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
sour cream for serving
1) Heat the oven to 200 °C.
2) Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3) Add the onion and garlic and cook them for 3 minutes, stirring often.
4) Add the beef and use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up while it cooks.
5) Cook until meat is no longer red, about 3 minutes.
6) Stir in the chilli powder, salt and pepper and half a cup of the salsa
7) Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
8) Place the tortillas on a plate and cover with damp paper towels.
9) Microwave them until warm and pliable.
10) Top each tortilla with a quarter cup of the beef mixture, spreading it to a centimetre or two from the edges.
11) Sprinkle cheese evenly over the beef.
12) Roll up the tortillas and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet with the seam sides down.
13) Brush the taquitos lightly with vegetable oil.
14) Bake them until the filling is heated through and the tortillas are lightly browned, about 8 to 12 minutes.
15) Serve hot with sour cream and/or salsa.