500g dried black beans
3 cups cooked rice, hot
1 tomato chopped
¼ cup chopped onion, divided
10 cups water, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dried whole oregano
¼ tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1) Sort and wash beans.
2) Combine beans, tomato, and 2 tablebspoons of onion in a large dutch oven.
3) Cover with 6 cups of water, and soak overnight.
4) Add remaining 4 cups water to dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat, and simmer for 2 ½ hrs or until beans are tender.
6) Combine remaining 2 tbsps onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin in a small bowl; mash mixture, using a fork.
7) Stir in vinegar. Add vinegar mixture and salt to beans.
8) Simmer, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes.
9) Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if so desired.