350g lean minced beef
1 large carrot, grated
1 Granny Smith apple, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp chutney
2 tbsp Korma paste
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 slice white bread
2-3 bay leaves
2 tsp curry powder
handful of raisins (optional)
1) Heat the oil in a large pan.
2) Once heated add beef and brown while breaking up with a wooden spoon.
3) Add chopped onion, curry powder, garlic and Korma paste.
4) Add the grated apple and carrot, chutney, cider vinegar and raisins (if so desired).
5) Add a little hot water and simmer for 8- 10 minutes, until carrots have softened.
6) Season well with salt and black pepper.
7) Pour 125ml milk over bread until it is saturated.
8) Mix the remaining milk and eggs together until well combined.
9) Mash the soggy bread into mince until well blended.
10) Spoon the mince mixture evenly into an oven-proof dish.
11) Pour egg custard over mince and place bay leaves around the middle of the meat.
12) Bake at 160 °C for 25-35 minutes, until the egg custard has set.