700g boneless chicken breasts, cut in bite-sized pieces
1 cup peanut oil
4 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup flour
½ cup hot sauce
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tsp Kosher salt
3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp tabasco sauce (optional)
1 cup blue cheese dip or salad dressing
1) For the sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
2) Whisk in the hot sauce, sugar and vinegar until combined.
3) Remove from the heat and set aside.
4) Taste and adjust seasonings, add tabasco if hot bites are desired or butter to make it milder.
5) For seasoning: mix together the cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and flour on a plate.
6) Place chicken pieces into flour and press down to adhere the flour.
7) Place peanut oil in a deep fryer or skillet–over medium-high heat.
8) Remove chicken pieces from the flour, shaking off any excess and place in hot skillet, in a single layer with space between pieces.
9) Fry, turning once until golden crisp on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
10) Remove the chicken from the oil and drain on paper towels.
11) Repeat last 4 steps with remaining chicken.
12) Transfer all the chicken to a large mixing bowl, pour the sauce over the chicken and toss until coated.
13) Serve chicken bites with blue cheese dip.