1 cup self-raising flour
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup bran flakes
3 tbsp honey
1 egg yolk
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp salt
zest of one orange
olive oil (for frying)
1) Soak the bran flakes in buttermilk in a medium bowl for five minutes.
2) Sift the self-raising flour and salt together.
3) Stir the egg, egg yolk, honey, olive oil and zest through the buttermilk mixture.
4) Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix through.
5) Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat.
6) Add enough of the pancake mixture to the pan to cover it in a thin layer.
7) Fry until the top is almost set, then flip and fry until golden brown.
8) Keep the cooked pancakes warm and repeat with the rest of the mixture.
9) Serve with your choice of syrup, sauce or honey.