400g candy-covered chocolate drops (Smarties or M&M’s)
2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1) Preheat the oven to 160 °C with the rack in the lower-middle section.
2) Line a 23X33cm pan with greased foil.
3) Melt the butter and set it aside to cool slightly.
4) Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.
5) Place the white and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl.
6) Pour the butter in and whisk together until well combined.
7) Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk well again.
8) Place the flour mixture into the batter and mix together with a rubber spatula until just combined and a thick dough is formed (do not over-mix).
9) Add a heaped cup of candy and mix to distribute evenly through all the dough.
10) Place the dough on the foil-lined pan and spread evenly.
11) Spread remaining candy over the top and press them down into the dough slightly.
12) Bake up for 20-25 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
13) Allow to cool on a wire rack.
14) Cut into squares.