500g frozen cavatelli (frozen egg noodles or gnocchi pasta may be substituted)
425g canned crushed tomatoes
400g rocket, stems removed, leaves torn in half
120g sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1cm strips
1 onion, chopped
â…“ cup Parmesan, grated
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) In a large frying pan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until almost crisp.
2) Remove with a slotted spoon and pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat.
3) Reduce heat to moderately low.
4) Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about five minutes).
5) Add the tomatoes with their juice, and salt and the pepper and bring to a simmer.
6) Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7) In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the cavatelli until just done (about ten minutes).
8) Drain and toss with the sauce, bacon, rocket and a quarter cup of the Parmesan.
9) Stir until the rocket is just wilting.
10) Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top.