2 to 2 ½ cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup warm water (40-45 °C)
½ cup butter, softened
½ onion, freshly chopped
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 eggs at room temperature
1 package active dry yeast
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1) In large mixer bowl, mix warm water and yeast.
2) Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
3) Add salt, sugar, eggs, caraway seeds, butter, and whole wheat flour.
4) Beat until smooth using electric mixer or wooden spoon.
5) Stir in enough bread flour to make a stiff dough.
6) Turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
7) Wash bowl, grease it, then add bread dough to bowl; turn over to grease the top.
8) Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
9) Turn dough out onto lightly oiled surface.
10) Roll out to make a rectangle 20cm x 40cm.
11) Sprinkle with the Parmesan and onion.
12) Roll up tightly.
13) Grease a loaf pan and place loaf into pan, seam side down.
14) Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
15) Preheat oven to 190 °C.
16) Bake loaf for 30 to 35 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped.