2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 can tart cherries, well drained and coarsely chopped
7 tbsp vegetable shortening
½ cup chopped nuts
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp orange peel, grated
¼ cup cherry juice (from the canned cherries)
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3) Add in shortening.
4) Stir in eggs, orange juice, orange peel, and cherry juice.
5) Fold in cherries and nuts.
6) Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
7) Bake for 45 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8) Cool 10 minutes then remove from pan.