1 cup dark chocolate, melted
3 cups sweetened, flaked and dried coconut
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of cream of tartar
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2) Add the cream of tartar, egg whites, vanilla essence and sugar in a cold bowl and beat at high speed until mixture thickens.
3) Mix in the coconut.
4) Spoon medium-small dollops onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
5) Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
6) Melt chocolate in the microwave to ensure softness if necessary.
7) Dip the macaroons in the chocolate, making sure all sides are equally coated by chocolate.
8) Return each macaroon to the cookie sheet to harden.
9) Repeat procedure until all the mixture is used.