100g dark chocolate
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 cup cream
½ cup butter
3 large eggs
1 tbsp castor sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1) Preheat oven to 220 °C.
2) Place water and butter in a small saucepan and heat slowly until butter has melted.
3) Increase heat, and as soon as it starts to boil, remove from the stove and add flour and salt.
4) Beat vigorously until mixture forms a roux and comes away from the sides of the pot.
5) Allow to cool for a few minutes
6) Place in a bowl and add eggs, one at a time, beating thorougly after each addition.
7) Mixture should be smooth, thick and glossy
8) Drop teaspoons of choux pastry onto a greased baking tray, 5cm apart from each other.
9) Bake for about 15 minutes or until they have risen and are golden brown.
10) Remove from the oven and make a slight incision in each one.
11) Return them to the oven at a reduced temperature of 180 °C for a few minutes until they have cooked inside and are hollow.
12) Remove from oven and allow too cool completely
13) Whisk cream and vanilla together until soft peaks form, add sugar and continue to whisk until stiff.
14) Slice eclairs in half lengthways and fill with cream.
15) Melt chocolate over a double boiler or carefully by microwave.
16) Drizzle melted chocolate over eclairs.