2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
1 tsp quality instant espresso powder
3 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp coarse salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
decorating sugar, for sprinkling
1) Stir cocoa and espresso powders into the boiling water in a small bowl until dissolved, then set aside.
2) Meanwhile, place white sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
3) Mix on medium speed until creamy, then mix in vanilla and salt.
4) Reduce speed to medium-low and mix in egg, then cocoa mixture.
5) Gradually add flour, and mix until a smooth dough forms.
6) Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a square.
7) Wrap the dough in the plastic, and refrigerate until cold, about half an hour.
8) Preheat oven to 165 °C.
9) Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces.
10) Roll the pieces into balls and then shape the balls into 25cm ropes.
11) Twist each rope into a pretzel shape.
12) Space the pretzels 2cm apart on baking sheets lined with bakery paper .
13) Whisk the egg yolk with a teaspoon water in a small bowl.
14) Brush pretzels with egg wash then sprinkle with sanding sugar.
15) Bake pretzels, rotating sheets halfway through, until dry, about 35 minutes.
16) Allow to cool on sheets on wire racks.
17) Pretzels can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to a week.