300g bittersweet (or semi-sweet, not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
150g unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large pinch of salt
1) Butter and flour ten ¾-cup ramekins.
2) Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally.
3) Remove bowl from over water and cool the chocolate mixture to lukewarm.
4) Using an electric mixer at high speed, beat sugar, eggs, yolks, and salt in large bowl until batter falls in a heavy ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 6 minutes.
5) Sift flour over mixture and fold in. Gradually fold in lukewarm chocolate mixture.
6) Divide the mixture among prepared ramekins.
7) Preheat oven to 200 °C. Place ramekins on baking sheet and bake souffles until puffed and beginning to crack on top (centres will still be soft), about 18 minutes (19 minutes if frozen), and serve.
Note that it can be prepared ahead; cover souffles individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 1 day or freeze up to 1 week before use.
This recipe should produce 10 souffles.