1.5kg boneless chuck roast, trimmed
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2cm pieces
400g beef broth
2 cups onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry red wine
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
fresh thyme leaves (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2) Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3) Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper and add to pan; cook for five minutes while turning to brown on all sides.
4) Remove roast from pan.
5) Add onion to pan and sautÃ©e for eight minutes or until tender.
6) Return browned roast to pan.
7) Add the thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, red wine and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer.
8) Cover pan and bake at 180 ° for an hour and a half or until the roast is almost tender.
9) Add carrots and potatoes to pan, then cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
10) Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard.
11) Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid; garnish with thyme leaves if desired.