700g lean minced beef
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
½ cup onion, finely chopped
½ cup celery, finely chopped
¼ cup green pepper, finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2) Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
3) Cook onion, celery and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
4) Stir in tomato sauce. Remove pan from heat and divide sauce mixture in half.
5) Combine one half of the sauce with the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper; mix gently.
6) Pat mixture into a lightly greased 2l loaf pan.
7) Bake for 1 hour or until an instant read thermometer reaches 70 °C.
8) Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
9) Reheat the reserved sauce mixture and serve with sliced meat loaf.