500g cubed steak, cut in 4 pieces
1 egg, beaten
3 cups plus 3 tablespoons milk
1 ½ cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable oil
freshly ground black pepper
1) Heat the oil in a heavy cast iron skillet, to 360F.
2) Season the steak with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
3) Combine the egg with 3 tablespoons of the milk.
4) Put 1 ½ cups of the flour in a large zipper-lock plastic storage bag and season with salt and pepper.
5) Dredge the steaks in the flour, coating each piece evenly and tapping off any excess.
6) Dip the steak in the egg wash, coating it completely and let the excess drip off.
7) Dredge again in the flour, shaking off any excess.
8) Fry the steaks in the hot oil, until golden brown on each side.
9) Remove and drain on paper towels.
10) Season with salt and pepper.
11) Carefully pour off the oil, leaving behind about a ¼ cup along with the brown bits.
12) Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 3 tbps flour.
13) Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
14) Add the remaining 3 cups milk, a ½ cup at a time, whisking constantly.
15) Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
16) Season with salt and plenty of pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, whisking constantly until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.