Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches)
4 slices bread
4 Gruyere cheese
2 slices ham
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp vegetable oil
ground black pepper
1) Using a bowl wide enough to dip the bread into, crack 1 egg into it, add the milk and beat lightly.
2) Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3) Butter two slices of the bread using half a tablespoon of butter.
4) Spread the other two slices with Dijon mustard.
5) Place a slice of cheese on each of the buttered slices.
6) Add the ham and then another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
7) Heat the remaining butter and vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
8) While butter is melting, dip one sandwich into the egg and milk mixture, coating the bread on both sides.
9) When the butter is sizzling, add the sandwich and cook for around a minute and a half on each side, pressing down firmly with a spatula.
10) Turn over and cook the other side, then move to the side of the pan.
11) Gently break an egg into the pan and fry until cooked to your liking.
12) Transfer the sandwich to a plate and top it with the fried egg.
13) Serve immediately or keep heated until the other sandwich is ready to serve.