1kg chicken pieces, boneless skinned thighs and legs work well
2 medium onions, chopped fine
4 medium tomatoes, cut up
3 cloves garlic, grated
4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp unsweetened grated coconut
1 tbsp coriander seed
2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground chilis
¼ tsp cardamom seed
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cinnamon
salt to taste
some fresh coriander (optional)
1) SautÃ© the onions and coconut in vegetable oil until they start to colour.
2) Add the grated garlic and ginger, continue frying a minute or two.
3) Add spices, ground fine. (Tip: roast the corriander and cumin in a dry skillet until fragrant, then grind.)
4) Fry gently for another minute or two making sure the mixture doesn’t stick/scorch.
5) Add some salt and then tomatoes and cook down until all the water is driven off and oil is separating.
6) Add the chicken and cook until the outside of the meat is seared.
7) Add 1 cup water and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened (add water as required).
8) Garnish with chopped fresh coriander (or not).