1kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut in 2cm cubes
1 ½ cups plain low-fat yoghurt
3 cloves garlic
4 whole cloves
3 tbsps and 2 cups water
3 tbsps salad oil
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
1 tbsp salt
3 whole cardamom
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup butter
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp fresh mint, chopped or ¼ tsp dried mint flakes
1 tsp rose water
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
â…› tsp saffron
1) Form a paste by combining: garlic, poppy seed, chilies, mint, ginger, parsley, cinnamon, 2 cloves, 3 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon oil. (Can be blended in electric blender or grind dry and then add water and oil.)
2) Pour over the lamb, let stand two hours.
3) In a large pot over a medium-low heat, brown the cardamom, remaining 2 cloves, and cinnamon stick in butter.
4) Mix in lamb and sauce, yoghurt and salt. Cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Meanwhile in another pot, lightly brown rice in 2 tablespoons oil, stirring frequently.
6) Stir in 2 cups water and saffron.
7) Cover and cook about 10 minutes over low heat until water is absorbed.
8) Gently stir rice mixture and rose water into lamb.
9) Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until lamb is tender.
10) Garnish with cilantro if desired.