310g all-purpose flour
880g tart apples – peeled, cored and sliced
100g white sugar
1 egg yolk
1 egg white
40g sifted confectioners’ sugar
30g cornflakes cereal
2g ground cinnamon
1) In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour and the salt.
2) Cut the shortening in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3) Lightly beat egg yolk in a measuring cup.
4) Add milk to make two-thirds of teh cup liquid total and mix well.
5) Divide dough in half.
6) On a floured surface, roll half the dough to a 45 x 30cm rectangle and fit into and up sides of a suitably sized baking pan.
7) Sprinkle with corn flake cereal; top with apples.
8) Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.
8) Roll remaining dough to a 40 x 30cm rectangle and place over apples.
9) Seal the edges and cut slits in the top for steam to escape.
10) Bake at 190 °C for about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
11) Cool on a wire rack.