Cooking your own baby’s food from fresh, organic products is not only wholesome, but eco-friendly and economical too. Explore the goodness of eco-cooking with us over the next few weeks.
Today we focus on organic pumpkin, which is loaded with Vitamin A, B and C. It is low in cholesterol, saturated fat and sodium, and is a good source of iron, fibre and magnesium, amongst others.
This recipe is suitable for babies from six to eight months.
1 fresh pumpkin grown organically (this will be indicated on the packaging)
Cinnamon to taste
Nutmeg to taste
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 180â°C to 220â°C.
2. Cut the pumpkin in half and deseed.
3. Place halves on baking tray, face down, with about 2cm to 5cm of water.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until the skin is wrinkled and the pumpkin soft.
5. Scrape out pumpkin from skin and add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
6. Mash, let it cool down and serve. Freeze the left-over pumpkin in serving-size containers for later use.