4 170g filet mignon steaks
freshly ground pepper
2-4 tbsps clarified butter
(Bleu cheese butter)
180g butter, softened
500g bleu cheese of your choice, crumbled (e.g. Roquefort, or gorgonzola if you prefer a milder blue cheese)
¾ tsp Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp coarse black pepper
1) Cream the butter until smooth in a suitable bowl.
2) Fold in the cheese, Worcestershire sauce and pepper (chunks of the blue cheese should be visible).
3) Roll in plastic wrap and twist the ends to close.
4) If not using immediately, refrigerate (3 days maximum) or freeze (2 months, maximum).
5) If frozen, thaw and cut into 45g chunks and place on top of hot steaks.
6) Allow the meat to sit at room temperature for about an hour.
7) Heat the clarified butter in a large sautÃ© pan or cast iron skillet over moderately high heat.
8) Salt and pepper the filet mignon to taste.
9) Place the steaks in the pan and cook until brown on the bottom and about half cooked through.
10) Turn the steaks over and continue to cook to desired temperature (keep your thermometer handy).
11) Once done, remove from pan to warmed plates and place sliced bleu cheese butter on top of each steak.