500g good-quality beef fillet, sinew removed, cut into 1cm slices
200g mixed salad leaves
100g firm (field or Caesar) mushrooms
100g Parmesan cheese, shaved
3 handfuls of rocket
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat oven to maximum temperature.
2) Rub an ovenproof metal tray or platter with extra virgin olive oil – the meat will be served on this dish.
3) Place a slice of meat on a piece of paper towel with another piece on top.
4) Using a rolling pin, evenly whack the meat until it’s four times the width you started with, and a quarter of the thickness.
5) Lay the meat on the tray or platter to the edges – it can hang over a tiny bit.
6) Place rosemary leaves in a sieve and run hot water over them to begin releasing oils and flavours.
7) Put them into a little bowl, pour 3 or 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil on top and massage the leaves with your fingers to get more flavour out of them.
8) Stir the garlic into the rosemary oil, then pat everything evenly all over the meat.
9) The meat can be prepared to this point a few hours in advance, then cling-filmed and kept in the fridge.
10) Tear the rocket and salad leaves into a large bowl.
11) Slice mushrooms as thinly as possible and add them to the bowl.
12) Place the meat in the preheated oven for 1 to 3 minutes (depending on oven).
13) Meanwhile dress the salad, with a little extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
14) Scatter the salad over the meat and serve with Parmesan.