450g cod or haddock fillets
40g plain flour
100g grated cheese
3 tsps fresh parsley, chopped
a little cream or milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
2) Put the fish in an ovenproof dish and pour the milk over it.
3) Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes before flaking fish.
4) Strain the milk from the fish and reserve some for the sauce.
5) Put the flaked fish back into bowl.
6) In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add flour and mix well.
7) Let the mixture bubble gently for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
8) Remove from heat and add milk stock, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
9) Bring back to the boil, stirring continually until sauce thickens.
10) Pour over the fish.
11) Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes
12) Drain potatoes and mash with a little milk or cream, butter and pepper.
13) Cover the fish with mashed potato and smooth over with a fork.
14) Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden.
15) Serve with fresh garden peas.