2x 200g matured rib-eye steaks
2 slices of ciabatta bread, about 2cm thick
2 tbsp green pesto
1 clove of garlic, cut in half
½ tbsp dried oregano
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
a sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
1) Begin by laying the steaks on a chopping board and rubbing with a little olive oil.
2) Season and sprinkle with the rosemary and oregano.
3) Cover with greaseproof paper and smash lightly with a rolling pin or the bottom of a saucepan, until the steaks are slightly flattened, and the herbs and seasoning are well pressed into the meat.
4) Place a large griddle pan on high heat and while it’s heating up, toast the ciabatta on both sides.
5) Keep the toast warm.
6) Shake any crumbs out of the griddle pan, then return to the heat and lay the steaks in it.
7) Cook for about 8 minutes, turning every minute, for a medium steak, or a little longer to be well done.
8) Lift the steaks out of the pan and leave to rest somewhere warm.
9) Spoon a tablespoon of pesto on each of two warm plates and smear out across the plate with the back of the spoon.
10) Place a steak on each plate and pour any resting juices over the top.
11) Rub the toasted ciabatta with the garlic, drizzle with a little olive oil and place a piece on top of each steak.
12) Serve with salad.