2 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 tablespoon castor sugar
1) Heat milk with the vanilla pod inside and allow to come to a boil.
2) Beat the eggs with sugar in a separate large bowl.
3) Pour hot milk over the egg yolks and whisk vigorously. When completely mixed in, return to the pan.
4) Stir over a low heat, until the mixture thickens sufficiently to coat the back of a spoon. This should take about 6 minutes.
5) Remove the vanilla pod from the mixture and drain into a bowl.
6) Add vanilla essence into the mixture if you are using that instead.