700g thickly sliced bacon, diced
2.5kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 4cm pieces
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
½ cup water
4 cups beef stock
2 tsps white sugar
4 cups diced carrots
2 large onions, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup white wine
1) SautÃ© bacon in large frying pan, reserve fat and bacon.
2) Place lamb, salt, pepper and flour in large mixing bowl-toss to coat meat evenly.
3) Brown the meat in frying pan with bacon fat.
4) Put meat into stock pot,leaving a quarter cup of fat in frying pan.
5) Add the garlic and yellow onion and sautÃ© till onion begins to turn golden.
6) Deglaze frying pan with a half cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock pot with bacon pieces, beef stock and sugar.
7) Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours or till tender.
8) Add remaining ingredients to pot and simmer covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are