800g tomatoes, peeled
600g minced beef
450g lasagne sheets
1-2 cups beef stock
2 cups milk
3 tbsps vegetable oil
2 tbsps butter
2 tbsps flour
2 balls mozzarella di bufala (buffalo mozzarella)
½ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup onion, minced
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
nutmeg, freshly grated
freshly ground pepper
1) In a suitable pan, heat the oil.
2) SautÃ© garlic and onions until translucent.
3) Add beef and brown until crumbly.
4) Add the bay leaf, a cup of stock, and tomatoes.
5) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6) Bring to boil. If the sauce thickens too much, add a little more stock.
7) Reduce heat to low, and add parsley.
8) Cook the lasagne noodles according to pack directions.
9) In a saucepan, heat the butter and flour to form a blond roux.
10) Add milk and whisk vigorously.
11) Reduce heat and simmer for 9-10 minutes.
12) Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
13) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
14) Coat a suitably-sized baking dish with oil, and line the bottom with a layer of noodles.
15) Add a third of the beef and a third of the sauce.
16) Top with a third of the mozzarella, season with pepper, and top with a third of the parmigiano-reggiano.
17) Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with sauce and parmigiano-reggiano as the top layer.
18) Bake for 30-40 minutes.