24 thin asparagus spears, woody ends removed
8 rashers of Pancetta (rashers of thinly sliced smoked bacon can be substituted)
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 handful flat leaf parsley, very finely chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
salad leaves (garnish)
1) For the dressing: mix the rind and juice of the lemon with the garlic, parsley and olive oil, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2) Take three asparagus spears and wrap them together tightly in one slice of Pancetta, ensuring that the whole asparagus is completely covered, including the tip.
3) Do this for the rest of the asparagus.
4) Heat a large and heavy non-stick frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and place the Pancetta wrapped asparagus in the pan.
5) Turn the the Pancetta while frying, and cook until crispy.
6) Arrange a bed of salad leaves on each of four plates for serving and dress with the lemon and garlic dressing, gently tossing the leaves to coat.
7) Slice each of the Pancetta wrapped asparagus in half with a diagonal slice and divide between the plates.