1 ¼ cups cake flour
1 cup castor sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp smooth apricot jam
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125ml water (can be substituted with orange juice)
3-6ml brandy (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 190 °C.
2) Beat eggs and castor sugar until fluffy.
3) Beat in the jam until a creamy consistency is reached.
4) Sift the dry cake ingredients into a separate bowl.
5) Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat.
6) Add the vinegar and milk.
7) Add the above butter, milk and egg mixture to the sifted ingredients and mix well.
8) Now add the eggs mixture and combine well.
9) Pour into a 2l casserole dish.
10) Bake for 45 mins until the top is browned.
11) In a small pot over medium heat, melt all the sauce ingredients together until smoothly blended.
12) Pour the sauce over the pudding before serving while still hot.
13) Serve with custard, ice cream or both.