500g lean minced beef
200g minced pork
400g beef broth (canned or home-made)
400g chicken broth (canned or home-made)
2 slices white bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
½ cup minced onions
3 tbsps fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried parsley)
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsps cornstarch
3 tsps vegetable oil, divided
¼ cup water
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper, divided
1 pinch nutmeg
¼ tsp fresh grated lemon rind
¼ tsp dried thyme
1) Combine the minced beef, pork, bread, onion, parsley, ¼ tsp pepper, egg, salt, and the pinch of nutmeg in medium bowl.
2) Shape the mixture into 2cm balls.
3) Heat 1 ½ tsps oil in large skillet over medium heat.
4) Add half of the meatballs and cook until browned; drain oil.
5) Transfer meatballs to a plate lined with paper towel.
6) Repeat with remaining 1 ½ tsps oil and meatballs.
7) Add beef and chicken broths to skillet, return meatballs to skillet and bring to a boil.
8) Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
9) In a small bowl combine water and cornstarch and stir well.
10) Add to meatballs and broth. Bring to a gentle boil to thicken.
11) Add remaining pepper, grated lemon peel and thyme.
12) Cook slowly 5 minutes longer.