4 cups milk
1 cup flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup castor sugar
60g butter, softened
3 tbsp maizena
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 180 °C
2) Cream 60g butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth.
3) Beat an egg into the mixture until light and fluffy.
4) Add flour and mix to form a soft dough.
5) Press dough onto the bottom and sides of a lightly greased pie dish, and bake until pastry is light golden brown.
6) Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
7) Pour milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
8) Combine sugar, maizena, flour, 3 beaten eggs and vanilla essence in a glass bowl and cream together until well mixed.
9) Add a cup of the heated milk to the creamed mixture.
10) Mix continuously to prevent eggs from curdling.
11) Pour the mixture back into the remaining milk and heat gently over low heat, while stirring, for about 15 minutes or until mixture thickens. Do not allow to boil.
12) Once the custard is thick, whisk in butter and pour over the pie crust.
13) Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set completely.
14) Dust lightly with cinnamon before serving.