700g lean minced beef
2 day-old rolls
170g gouda cheese, grated
4 cups milk, divided
1 onion, peeled and diced
100g smoked bacon, diced
¼ cup clarified butter
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
12 cherry tomatoes, washed
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
oil for greasing
1) Cut the rolls into cubes and soak in one cup of milk
2) Brown the parsley and onion with 1 tablespoon of clarified butter.
3) Squeeze out roll cubes and combine with beef, onion and bacon mix, one egg.
4) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Form meat into a dozen patties, each containing a cherry tomato.
6) Heat the remaining clarified butter and sear the meat patties.
7) Arrange meat in an oiled baking dish.
8) Preheat oven to 200 °C.
9) For the sauce, heat the quarter cup of butter until foamy.
10) Add flour and stir until combined.
11) Turn off heat and add two-thirds of the cheese.
12) Stir until smooth.
13) Pour cheese over patties and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
14) Bake for half an hour until sauce is lightly browned.