880g beef broth
900g beef chuck, cubed
12 small boiling onions
6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
6 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
60ml vegetable oil
60g all-purpose flour
25g all-purpose flour
15ml cold water
8g garlic powder
2g black pepper
1) In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
2) In a resealable plastic bag, mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
3) Add small handfuls of meat at a time and shake until well coated.
4) Brown the floured meat in hot oil, about a minute per side.
5) Lower heat to medium and add onions. Brown onions on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, then remove from pot and set aside. Drain excess fat from pot.
6) Add potatoes, carrots, celery, reserved onions, browned meat and broth to a pot.
7) Stir together well and bring to a boil.
8) Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
For a thicker broth – half an hour before the stew is done, combine three tablespoons flour and water in a small bowl and mix well, then slowly stir this mixture into the stew.