â…“ cup bulgur
½ cup hot water
100g lean minced beef
100g hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
4 cups prepared marinara sauce
½ cup Parmesan, freshly grated
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
500g whole-wheat spaghetti
1) For the meatballs: Combine bulgur and half cup water in a small bowl and let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
2) Preheat oven to 180 °C.
3) Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil.
4) Combine minced beef, onion, egg whites, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, sausage and the soaked bulgur in a large bowl; mix well.
5) Form the mixture into about two dozen 2cm balls.
6) Place the meatballs on the rack and bake for 25 minutes. Pat with paper towel.
7) To prepare the sauce: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
8) Bring sauce to a simmer in a Dutch oven.
9) Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley.
10) Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, around 8 to 10 minutes.
11) Drain and transfer to a serving bowl.
12) Top with the sauce and meatballs and serve with grated cheese.